Sunday 31 May 2009

The Sixth Best Piece of Writing Advice I've Ever Received

Yesterday I wrote about the five best pieces of writing advice I've ever received. Afterwards I realised that there is a sixth piece of writing advice which I should mention.
  • Write Every Day.
Again this is a piece of advice I've received from many places, and it's a good one.

And yet it's not a rule I'm always good at following. I usually write at least a couple of hundred words in a day. I have numerous tricks that I have previously posted about for fitting in time to write when I'm busy. But sometimes - like yesterday - I fail to write at all. In this case it was because I was spring cleaning all day, and then too tired in the evening. The result - my momentum is gone and I need to regain it this evening. Missing one day is problematic, but missing two might turn into a habit, and I don't want that.

So even though I've been cleaning again all day, I'm tired and I have to get up at 6am tomorrow for work, nonetheless I will write at least 250 words before I sleep tonight.

Hopefully that will be enough to get the ball rolling again.

No comments: