Thursday 28 May 2009

The Dreaded Fight Scene

(edit - 22/6/08 - if you found this post while searching for help writing fight scenes, you may find the post I wrote today about writing fight scenes more useful than this post.)

I've hit the climatic scene in "The Opening". It's a scene that contains some combat and I dislike writing fight scenes. Actually that's an understatement. I hate writing them. Combat is a weakness in my writing. It always feels stilted and somehow off to me.

Nothing - not even a raving plot disaster - creates writer's block in me like a fight scene. But I will not grind to a halt for six months because I don't feel competent. It's got to be done and it's got to be done by tomorrow night, because I won't have much writing time at the weekend as I'm doing the much needed Spring Clean.

Why - you may wonder - does she write stories with fight scenes in them if she hates writing them? Simply because the kind of story I like to write often demands them. I like this story. I even like this scene. I just don't like the process of getting it down on paper.

Having said that the fight scene in "Moonlight and Memories" turned out surprisingly well once I finally wrote it. So maybe I'm imaginining things.