Friday 31 July 2009

Fiction Book Review - Raising the Past

I read Raising the Past by Jeremy Robinson superfast when I got it in December 2006.

It's a really fast paced read and a great deal of fun. I've read criticisms elsewhere that the characters are shallow and underdeveloped but in a relatively short and fast paced science fiction thriller like this character development will always take a back seat. There could perhaps have been more three dimensionality in there, but it certainly did not ruin the book for me by any stretch. The plot took front seat and took me on a rollercoaster ride to rival the best any theme park has to offer.

And it does have it's deep side in its theme of good, evil and free will. What they are and what it means to have the freedom to choose between them.

It's a decent action story that with a bit more character development could have been worth 4.5 or 5 stars. As it is I give it 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 with the warning that it isn't for you if you only like novels with well developed characters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyce Carole Oates comes to mind when I think of well developed plot, character, everything. It is just my opinion, but this work seems like it was good. Thanks for the review!

Becka said...

Hi, thanks for the comment. :-)

Yeah it's entirely possible to have both a well developed plot and characters. It was jusy that I found that this particular book didn't have as much as it could.