Saturday 18 July 2009

After Two Months

Yesterday marked exactly two months since I started this blog, and I've managed to blog every day so far. For me that's quite an accomplishment.

I'm currently wondering if it wouldn't be possible to adapt the Snowflake Method to Worldbuilding. It's all about designing a story after all, and Worldbuilding is all about designing a setting. I suspect it should be possible to use the techniques to create the setting, history and culture of a world with a bit of tweaking. I shall think about this.

I shall also Google about it.

The only thing I can find about Worldbuilding and the Snowflake Method is this blog post where the author comments on the lack of Worldbuilding in the method, and Randy Ingermanson (the Snowflake Guy) pops up in comments to explain why (he's sees Worldbuilding as part of the research phase - which suits me fine as I'm fed up with Worldbuilding methods that expect me to already have a story defined).

Yes, I will definately have to think about this and see what transpires.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see world building as a part of the research phase, which for me comes after the initial outlining stage. In the outline, I only need general information. But as I get into the actual fine details, then I need to know what I'm talking about. So that's when I do research and decide how to present the information without making the infodump too obvious.


Well, that's my method, anyway. Your mileage may vary. ^_^

Becka said...

Hi Zoe,

Yeah, my order of doing things is mostly to do with how I get my ideas. I tend to have a setting and my story ideas grow out of it.

Becky