Tuesday 23 June 2009

The Shape of the Problem

I think I can see what the problem I have with "Opening". There's too much going on in it. I think I've actually said that before, but I'm begining to see why. I either need to simplify the story, or turn it into a novella. I shouldn't have subplots in a short story - but somehow they've sneaked in. I'm sure they weren't there in the outline.

And there's way too many characters as well, but I've already decided on at least one that needs cutting.

I'm still in the midst of the last scene of Opening - it's taking for ever. Once I'm done with it I'll put it on the shelf and re-outline it in August once I've decided what to do with it. To hit my target I need to get it done by the middle of next week, and get two more outlines done. I fully intend to do this.

No comments: